Re: Upcoming releases

Subject: Re: Upcoming releases
From: ROBERT CAMPBELL (RCAMPBEL@suss.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:33:33 CST

I did a quick test to verify what I said, regarding the persistence of a
style applied to a region of a paragraph that uses another style. I was
wrong. Like AbiWord, MS Word applies the font attributes but not the
style itself to the text in the region. The paragraph as a whole,
including the selected region, retains the original style.

I think there would be some value in my original assertion: that nested
styles in a paragraph were allowed, with the child overriding only the
font attributes of the parent. But I'm not sure it would be worth the
complexity, especially if it is not needed for loss-less transfer of
formatting between AbiWord and other word processors.

Rob Campbell
rcampbel@suss.com

>>> Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> 02/13/01 03:11PM

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Randy Kramer wrote:

Lots of good stuff
<snip>

> Hope this helps! Maybe someone else can clarify the fuzzy points, or
> can after some more thought.

Thanks very much, Randy, Robert and Jeffry. This helps a lot. It was
very
interesting to read that Word allows styles to be applied to a
selected
region. Right now I believe that a style can only be applied to whole
paragraph in Abi. I think we can apply the style codes to a selected
region but I don't think it will be recognized as a style in later
editting.

Is this correct Paul?

Cheers

Martin