Re: About dialog

Subject: Re: About dialog
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 16:23:46 CST

At 16:49 -0500 13/02/01, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>Hi Thomas,
>
>I wasn't under the impression that we were obligated to present the
>same about dialog across platform. What you're seeing there is the
>GnomeAbout dialog, which is the standard "About Dialog" for Gnome
>applications. The GTK+ dialog still looks the same. I'll be removing
>people's individual names from the About dialog tonight and put in
>something more general like "Abi the Ant" (Sam's idea).
>
>Above all, I want to remain consistent between Gnome Office
>applications. I may be wrong, but I thought the whole idea of our XP
>design (and say, not using GTK+ everywhere, for example) was to be
>as consistent as possible with our surrounding environment. I also
>understand the urge for consistency between different platform
>builds of AbiWord. However, the About dialog is hardly as functional
>as say the Paragraph dialog. If anyone doesn't agree with my
>methodology or doesn't want me to use the GnomeAbout dialog on
>Gnome, please tell me now.

I agree that trying keep the GUI consistent with the rest of the
platform is a good idea, but when it comes to the About box, I really
think that this is being integrist. The About Box have a symbolic
value as it provide identity to the software. It is also a part we
can have fun to code, as a proof, most easter eggs are there.

On the otherside, I don't think we require consistency with
gnome-office as currently gnome-office is IMHO just a virtual think.
Look, they even include OpenOffice inside while it is IMHO the worst
candidate to gnome intergration.

Hub