Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes

Subject: Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 15:35:47 CST

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 02:08 PM 2/14/01 +0100, Jesper Skov wrote:
> >However, I have some (simple) questions:
> >
> > o how do I draw the funky q (reversed/mirrored P)?
>
> #define UCS_PILCROW ((UT_UCSChar)0x00b6)
>
> This glyph (aka the ¶ entity in HTML) is in the Latin-1 range of
> Unicode, so I'd assume that it should be available in most decent fonts.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf
>
> If not, then we should extend the existing glyph substitution logic to
> handle this case as well.
>
> > o what font should be used, and what size? If the previous text is
> > 28pt should the 'q' be sized like that as well?
>
> Yes. We definitely want these to be proportional.
>
> Your best bet is to draw that character using the same font as its
> neighboring text. I forget whether it should look left (into the end of
> the prior para) or right (into the next one), but it's probably similar to
> the cursor-sizing logic. I'm sure Randy will know.

 Is this what other WP's do, maintain the same font size? Just curious
since while it seems like "the right thing to do" I don't ever recall
seeing a big 38pt reversed P

> Uh, that should only be true for forced column and page breaks. Forced line
> breaks should draw inline at EOL with a special symbol, just like you're
> doing at EOB.
>
> AFAIK, there's not an appropriate Unicode glyph for this in most fonts, so
> just draw something like the "enter arrow" with the same sorts of
> GR_Graphics calls as used for tabs.
>
> In summary, all of the inline stuff should be drawn proportional to the
> current fontsize, in the same grayish color. Some of these can use glyphs
> from the font (to get the size and positioning right):
>
> UCS_PILCROW (at EOB)
> UCS_MIDDLE_DOT (for spaces)
>
> Others need to do some math to figure out what size to do the relevant
> GR_Graphics calls:
>
> left-to-right arrow (for tabs)
> down-and-then-left arrow (for forced line breaks)

Why can't we just use
        RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK (0x00BB)
        LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK (0x00AB)
        and perhaps
        NOT SIGN (0x00AC) or REVERSED NOT SIGN (0x2310)

I just happen to have the Unicode 2.0 standard sitting
on my desk in front of me to look for pretty pictures.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf