Re: XP code (take 2)

Subject: Re: XP code (take 2)
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 15:41:51 CST

Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Creating things to make our life easier is one thing - and a good thing.
> For example, creating a class to manage radio buttons XP is great.
> What I don't want people to do is to spend (waste?) their time trying to
> reinvent wxWindows or something like that ("don't make up our own widgets
> for us to draw ourselves").

This I agree with 100%.

I might also add to all that have mailed me and been worried, scared, and
outright mad and rude, that what _I_ try to do is nothing like this. My
current effort is targeted at only dialogs. I intend to let every platform
handle thier widgets/controls whatever by themeselves. I also have no
intention trying to XP'ify dialogs where it makes no sense, like the Page
Setup Dialog (where at least one of our platforms API supplies it). Such
dialogs are better implemented in platform specific code I think.

What made me start talking about layout algorithms is the fact that 1) all
dialogs (that I think can be included in my view of XP dialogs) have their
controls layed out in the same way (which I think is good, to feel
comfortable moving from e.g. Win32 to QNX). 2) The only thing that really
differs (AFAIK) is the size of controls and distance they are from eachother
and from the edges of the dialog. This is what made me think it was quite
viable to create layouters for each platform. If I missed anything here I'd
appreciate comments.

/Mike
I _can_ live without comments even resembling "fuck you, this is
impossible". :-)