Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes

Subject: Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:03:33 CST

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> writes:
Paul> Great. If you've already got all the editing interactions with
Paul> the piece table working (including undo), then you're definitely
Paul> in the home stretch now.

No changes to the PT yet. When a new block is added, a new
EndOfParagraph Run is added instead of the old zero-length text
Run. Throw in some magic when splitting a block, and everything seems
to be working more or less.

Some issues to sort out yet, so I'm not home free. But I'm hopeful :)

Paul> However, if you start running out of time, please post a patch
Paul> with TODOs and a summary of remaining work, in case anyone else
Paul> feels like following in your footsteps. ;-)

Yes, will do. Also for backup and code review - or rather, I find that
when I have to document something I often understand it better :0)

I'll probably post a prepatch tomorrow. It will be incomplete - but it
will show where I'm headed and how.

>> o how do I draw the funky q (reversed/mirrored P)?

Paul> #define UCS_PILCROW ((UT_UCSChar)0x00b6)

This one works a charm with the default font at least. Thanks!

>> o what font should be used, and what size? If the previous text is
>> 28pt should the 'q' be sized like that as well?

Paul> Yes. We definitely want these to be proportional.

Hm... I disagree. But I'm not a WP user so my personal oppinion
doesn't carry much weight ;)

Paul> Uh, that should only be true for forced column and page breaks.
Paul> Forced line breaks should draw inline at EOL with a special
Paul> symbol, just like you're doing at EOB.

I could be mis-remembering.

>> I've disliked that because it looks weird. Maybe because the only
>> other place I've seen anything like this used is in WP5 where it
>> would be <linebreak> or <pagebreak> instead of something drawn.
>>
>> Would anyone object if I made AbiWord show codes work like that?

Paul> Yep. ;-)

I thought so :) But I'll add the sensible form (WP style) as an option
when I have it all working.

>> Also, IIRC, the codes are drawn using available space and do not
>> properly reserve screen estate. That needs fixing since it can
>> result in some weird looking pages.

Paul> Examples, please? I'm trying to think of a screw case where the
Paul> approach described above couldn't work, and nothing comes to
Paul> mind.

I'll try to find an example. It's a long time since I made it behave
weird - could have been fixed in the mean time.

>> o I plan to make all special page/line/paragraph breaks
>> selectable. In show codes mode they will be visible and they will
>> be highlighted. In !show codes mode they will just be one pixel
>> wide and invisible (but still editable).

Paul> Excellent. Without something like this, cursor-based editing
Paul> doesn't quite Just Work.

Paul> One minor suggestion, though -- keep the widths the same even
Paul> when the breaks are invisible.

OK.

Jesper