Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes

Subject: Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:33:35 CST

At 11:03 PM 2/14/01 +0100, Jesper Skov wrote:
>Paul> Great. If you've already got all the editing interactions with
>Paul> the piece table working (including undo), then you're definitely
>Paul> in the home stretch now.
>
>No changes to the PT yet. When a new block is added, a new
>EndOfParagraph Run is added instead of the old zero-length text
>Run. Throw in some magic when splitting a block, and everything seems
>to be working more or less.
>
>Some issues to sort out yet, so I'm not home free. But I'm hopeful :)

Oh goody, goody, goody. I'd crossed my fingers and hoped that it could all
be done on the block-editing side of the fence, but never had time to work
through the implementation and see.

IIRC, the only potential PT change I ever anticipated for this feature was
to avoid some off-by-one problems, but that was almost 2 years ago, now.

>>> o what font should be used, and what size? If the previous text is
>>> 28pt should the 'q' be sized like that as well?
>
>Paul> Yes. We definitely want these to be proportional.
>
>Hm... I disagree. But I'm not a WP user so my personal oppinion
>doesn't carry much weight ;)

It's been a while since I played with this, but if I'm wrong, Randy or Tomas
will correct me. ;-)

>>> I've disliked that because it looks weird. Maybe because the only
>>> other place I've seen anything like this used is in WP5 where it
>>> would be <linebreak> or <pagebreak> instead of something drawn.
>>>
>>> Would anyone object if I made AbiWord show codes work like that?
>
>Paul> Yep. ;-)
>
>I thought so :) But I'll add the sensible form (WP style) as an option
>when I have it all working.

:-) :-)

>>> Also, IIRC, the codes are drawn using available space and do not
>>> properly reserve screen estate. That needs fixing since it can
>>> result in some weird looking pages.
>
>Paul> Examples, please? I'm trying to think of a screw case where the
>Paul> approach described above couldn't work, and nothing comes to
>Paul> mind.
>
>I'll try to find an example. It's a long time since I made it behave
>weird - could have been fixed in the mean time.

OK. I doubt anyone's really been beating on that code since the original
patch, so it could still have some lingering bugs.

Paul