Re: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes

Subject: Re: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 02:21:53 CST

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:
 Hi,

> 3. Something's goofy on export.
> --------------------------------
> Make a new document. Type in your favorite contraction with Smart Quotes
> on. The single-quote gets replaced with a curly glyph (in Times New Roman).
> Save and reload the document. Now you get a different glyph (still TNR, but
> straighter). Huh?
>
> I suspect that this may be something subtle about the encoding used to store
> the contents of our file format. If we explicitly tell expat
> encoding="ISO-8859-1", then any embedded Unicode characters outside that
> range need to be mangled properly. IIRC, Jeff put logic in long ago to do
> so -- did someone change / break this recently?

 Sorry, I'm not following the list - did something change wrt smart quotes
in the tree since Sunday?
 I tried to reproduce what you, Paul, described with unix port and everything
seems fine (of course I've set LANG=C for abiword). Here is a
saved file with one word "sdfs" with smart quotes around it:

<abiword version="unnumbered" fileformat="1.0">
<pagesize pagetype="Letter" orientation="portrait" width="8.500000"
height="11.000000" units="inch" page-scale="1.000000"/>
<section>
</section>
</abiword>

 Do you see smartquotes when loading this file?
 Are you talking about windows port or unix port?

 It was me who hacked .abw saving routines (when doing i18n of AW).

 If something still doesn't work for you, could you please send a file with
only one word and smartquotes around it on which you see this problem?

> Paul

 Best regards,
  -Vlad