Re: "Show Paragraphs" screenshot on abiword.com (Was: Re: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [rob.campbell@att.net]])

Subject: Re: "Show Paragraphs" screenshot on abiword.com (Was: Re: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [rob.campbell@att.net]])
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 20:28:10 CST

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:28:41AM -0000, James Montgomerie wrote:
> From: "James Montgomerie" <jamie@montgomerie.net>
> To: "Sam TH" <sam@uchicago.edu>; "AbiWord Dev" <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> >
> > From: "Sam TH" <sam@uchicago.edu>
> > Subject: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE
> abiword-dev@abisource.com:
> > Non-member submission from [rob.campbell@att.net]]
> > >

> > > Aaron picked this screenshot. I'm always looking for cooler
> > > screenshots, so send yours in. What I really want is to implement a
> > > random screenshot feature. Who knows PHP, or do I have to learn
> > > myself?
> >
> > Cool feature!
> >
> > I'm having to learn PHP as part of my job at the moment, so I'll give it a
> > go over the weekend (surely something like a random file choosaer won't be
> > too hard!)
>
> And indeed it wasn't :-)
>
> Put the attached file somewhere and include it in the title page with:
>
> <?php include("randpng.php") ?>
>
> then use it like this:
>
> <?php echo(randPNG("dir", "alt")); ?>
>
> Where "dir" is the path to directory containing the pngs to be chosen from
> and "alt" is the 'alt' attribute text for the generated image tag. It will
> generate an image tag (with correct width and height fields) as output.

I was unable to get this to work. I removed the php from the opening
tags, since nothing in the rest of the site uses it. But no matter
what I try, either the function just gets included as straight text,
or it prevents processing of the rest of the page, or the function is
unimplemented.

A broken version is in the CVS tree for the web site, and the old
version is still being used. Do you have any idea what might be wrong
here?

> P.S. You'll notice the GUI on the extra shots I've taken is the BeOS one.
> It's extremely slow and extremely buggy at the moment (I don't think I could
> actually use it for anything more than taking these screenshots). We might
> want to either stop advertising BeOS support as much as we do or submit an
> article to benews.com asking for interested developers.

We really do need someone to work on the Be build, since it is
seriously lagging.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/