Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Dom Lachowicz (dominicl@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:25:15 CDT

Quoting Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> I understand. My point is still that this may not be
> what they *want to do* because of a lack of choice.
> If a bilingual person from a mainland European country
> wishes to create a document intended for Britain,
> Ireland, Australia, etc; they are not ignorant and
> know that we don't use or appreciate American english.
> We don't want to force these (and many others) into
> blindly using en-US.

I've been following this thread, and I must say that I'm confused by it.

How would (could?) we blindly force users into authoring under the en-US locale
(though I argue that there should be no en other than en-US :)

We have profile files set up that try to auto-set the Document locale smartly.
We have different dictionaries that are easily downloadable so that spell-check
works with an acceptably close dictionary. We have a nice little language dialog
that lets you set the locale for any arbitrary amount of text. So I guess that
I'm wondering what the perceived problem is and how we might fix it.

Dom