Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 22:31:47 CDT

 --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
on 18 jul 2001 06:31:05, Andrew Dunbar
> <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:
>
> >> Yes. (Though I think quite a few people write
> 'en-US'
> >> documents, even if they're using a different
> locale.)
> >
> > I don't dispute for a moment that people do do
> this.
> > I will dispute why they do this. They don't do
> this
> > because of choice - they do it because of lack of
> > choice. Most software seems to come from the US
> and
> > sets the default to en-US.
>
> I meant that they write documents in English
> (English content)
> (not in their own language with the default language
> set to 'en-
> US').

I understand. My point is still that this may not be
what they *want to do* because of a lack of choice.
If a bilingual person from a mainland European country
wishes to create a document intended for Britain,
Ireland, Australia, etc; they are not ignorant and
know that we don't use or appreciate American english.
We don't want to force these (and many others) into
blindly using en-US.

I think I'm wasting bandwidth on this subject but I
just want the idea to be clear. I hope it is becoming
clear to those reading...

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net