Re: awww, hypermail ignored my PRE tags

Subject: Re: awww, hypermail ignored my PRE tags
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 11:47:45 CST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:29:28AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 03:04 PM 3/1/01 +1100, Tim Allen wrote:
> >>If anyone knows how to fool hypermail in cases like this, let me know.
> >
> >>Paul,
> >>sulking
> >
> >The browser view page source function is your friend :-). Worked for
> >me.
>
> OK, Tim. I'll bite. :-)
>
> It's obvious that hypermail did the usual & conversion -- that's what
> you usually want to happen. (For example, see what happened to the text of
> the previous sentence.)
>
> What I was wondering was how to deliberately avoid that behavior. If I
> *want* some text to come across as PRE in the archives, is there any way to
> setup the plain-text mail input so that it won't trigger that conversion?

Well, I have no idea about hypermail, but without bugs (or weird
features) in it, there are no ways to trigger that conversion. There
is certainly no way to do it that would be portable across archivers.
This is simply because allowing unescaped < and > would cause lots of
nasty HTML, which would be hard to display properly. At least, it
would be hard if browsers didn't accept absolutely everything.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: