RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes

Subject: RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:15:32 CST

At 01:00 PM 3/3/01 +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:
>> I've stepped through the debugger to isolate the following problem and it
>> *is* in your code. The smart quotes are getting removed (on NT) by the
>> try_UtoNative() call inside your s_AbiWord_1_Listener::_outputData()
>> implementation. To reproduce this, try linking with the version of
libiconv
>> we ship.
>
> I think it's libiconv that is broken - when converting it tries to
>substitute some unicode characters not available in target charset with their
>visual equivalents (like substituting those smartquote characters with plain
>double quotes, and en-dashes with "-"). We can fix our version of libiconv
>not to do this.

Yep. It sure seems like libiconv is doing the conversion. What's not clear
to me is whether that's really "broken" behavior for anyone but us. If
you're really crunching everything down to the target charset (which we're
not), then the existing logic is probably better than mapping those
characters to slugs.

This doesn't sound like a good reason to fork libiconv.

Paul

PS: See my reply to the rest under Tomas' portion of the thread.