Re: Lists behaviour

Subject: Re: Lists behaviour
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 01:10:25 CST

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, John L. Clark wrote:

> Man, I'm just racking 'em up, tonight, aren't I? Ok, here's a couple of
> things about lists. Sorry about the length.
>
> First, what happened to solid black bullets? Now I see small circles as
> bullets. Seems to me that solid black circular bullets are pretty
> standard.

I put this in deliberately because I want a UCS_BULLET (The unicode value
for a bullet) to be displayed and printed as a bullet. Right now we don't
do this. I hope that with this behaviour up there in in our faces we will
be motivated to fix it.

If it's not fixed near our next release I will change the one line of code
back so we display the bullet encoded in a single byte of the symbol fontset
as before.

> ======================
>
> Second, what happened to the auto list ending logic we had? What I see
> currently is the following (where | represents the curser location, and
> o represents a bullet):
>
> o foo
> o bar
> o baz|
>
> Then you hit enter twice and get:
>
> o foo
> o bar
> o baz
> o |
>
> But I thought that instead it was supposed to go from
>
> o foo
> o bar
> o baz
> o |

> o foo
> o bar
> o baz

This is a bug. It probabally comes from Jesper new code which always puts
a non-zero run in every paragraph. The code I wrote to recognize and empty
paragraph will need to be changed to fix this.

> and automagically end the list.
>
> =============================
>
> Finally, shouldn't a list look like
>
> o foo
> o bar
> o baz
>
> or
>
> 1. foo
> 2. bar
> 3. baz
>
> instead of
>
> o foo
> o bar
> o baz
>
> and
>
> 1. foo
> 2. bar
> 3. baz
>
> which we currently have now? Every html renderer that I've seen renders
> a list in the former way, with the bullets indented a bit and then the
> text spaced a bit after that, instead of the bullets at the extreme left
> margin and the text a full tab in from them.
>
> Thoughts?

Well this can certainly be changed if this is the behaviour we want
instead.

Cheers

Martin