Re: Commit: A boat load of things

Subject: Re: Commit: A boat load of things
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 20:35:14 CST

Bill,

Now I get it!

At 06:13 PM 3/7/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>paul> - the usual recheck button (unignore everything)
>
>I want the ability to recheck without unignoring the stuff I've
>explicitly said to ignore earlier. Getting rid of the double
>negative, I want the ability to recheck while ignoring the stuff I've
>explicitly said to ignore earlier.

But this is easily done -- just choose any of the following:

1. Squiggles are already on. The document is already checked. There's
nothing to do.

2. Turn squiggles back on. They all show up (except what's ignored).

3. Leave squiggles off and bring up the spell dialog. It checks the
entire document or selection, ignoring squiggles. (Or it should.)

In all three cases, your desired behavior is the *default* behavior. No
special buttons or switches are needed. It Just Works.

>In that "no on-the-fly" scenario, a bulk check can deal with
>"everything so far". You mark an item "ignored" or "ignore all", you
>correct it, you add it to the dictionary, or you accept the fact that
>the next bulk check will show it to you again if you re-run it. Now,
>type 5 more pages and re-run the bulk checker. Why go through that
>previous labor all over again?

Here's the confusion. We were blurring two concepts of "bulk check".

I. (already works) Bring up the big bad dialog and march through the
document. Previously ignored stuff still is.

II. (todo) Press a button over in preferences to *flush* existing ignored
words so that they show up the next time they're spell checked. This could
be either:

  - immediately, if squiggles are on, or
  - later, whenever you next invoke a bulk check via #I above

The only question I ever intended to ask was whether we *had* this button
latter in the various platforms' prefs dialogs to hook this behavior to.

>Now, at the end of writing the whole document, just before giving it
>to your boss, you decide to re-run the bulk checker, but this time you
>want it to recheck everything, even the stuff you ignored earlier,
>because you allow for the possibility that you erred earlier or even
>have had a change of judgement. "Meathead at HQ" should now be "Meet
>head at HQ".

Exactly. This is the only time you press the magic button from #II.

Paul