Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 13:00:43 CST

At 06:15 PM 3/9/01 +0000, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>For Mac I plan to provide a tool (probably in Perl) that generates
resource file
>for translations.
>MacOS 8/9 will not be able to have a single binary with all languages without
>lot of hacking

Ouch. Are you saying that that there's no reasonable way on those MacOS
versions to do what we do on Windows and perhaps other platforms, namely:

  - layout a fixed dialog resource with wide-enough placeholders, and
  - replace them with strings loaded at runtime from some textish file?

(Where textish file could be our existing .strings files, or .po files, or
something else.)

If so, that sounds utterly broken. Sigh.

>while MacOS X provide a standard l10n mechanism.

Yeah? Cool. Is it similar to any of the mechanisms we've been discussing,
or something else entirely?

Paul