Re: status matrices and XSL

Subject: Re: status matrices and XSL
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 15:38:06 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Rohr" <paul@abisource.com>
To: "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <huftis@bigfoot.com>;
<abiword-dev@abisource.com> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 7:44 PM

> Looks like you're about done with the rendering stuff.

I'll convert the feature and locale matrices too.

> A few
> final nit-picky things.
>
> 1. How wedded are you to your colors? Bob's primary colors
> aren't as subdued, but they're more conventional. At least in
> this country, the semantics of bright red green and yellow are
> very clear. Your colors are nice, but they don't scream "broken"
> loud enough (at least, not to me).

Well, I think it's unpleasant to watch large areas filled with bright red. Hurts
my eyes ...

> 2. I'm pretty sure the original document had local anchors to
> jump directly to the relevant section.

I'll add this.

> 3. In the interest of terseness, do we really need to spell out
> "bug #" inside each cell? I can easily imagine filing half a
> dozen bugs or TODOs against a newly-implemented feature, and
> that'll really bloat the cell quickly. For a comparison, see:
>
> http://bugzilla.abisource.com/reports.cgi?product=AbiWord&links=
> 1

OK, I'll change this. Should I keep the #?

> I can
> >fix this for win32, but someone else must update it for other
> >platforms.
>
> Thanks. Just getting it updated for win32 would be a huge step.

I'll also add some more rows for new dialogs. BTW, some rows have "wrong" names.
Example: Edit / Options. Should I change this to 'Tools / Preferences'. Should I
fix this, or are there any file names named "Edit_Options" or something similar?

> >I think it's better to have it at the top. It's a bit late to
> >present that column explanations to the reader *after* he/she
> >has read alle the tables/matrices.
>
> Yes, but it's *only* useful for people once, and after that it
> just gets in the way. Fortunately, HTML has local anchors, so
> you can put it at the bottom with a forward reference at the top.
> For example, see the feature matrix, which has an explanation of
> the cell contents at the top.

OK, I'll change this. Should I also move the legend to the bottom?

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer