RE: Pre-scroll

Subject: RE: Pre-scroll
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 12:43:44 CST

At 09:40 AM 3/15/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>mike> In this editor you could set the number of lines from top/bottom
>mike> border the cursor started to scroll the text. This was really
>mike> good since it kept a larger context visible of what you were
>mike> editing. I.e. if you set pre-scroll to 4, it would never let the
>mike> cursor closer to the border than four lines, except for the
>mike> border-conditions of BOD/EOD.
>
>Beats me how hard to implement, but I would *LOVE* (with a
>heart-shaped "o") having this feature in a WP.

Shouldn't be bad at all.

Have a look at the autoscroll code. It's already doing some fairly simple
work to try to intelligently keep the cursor on-screen. Methinks the
algorithm could definitely be improved, and adding a fatter cushion is an
obvious tweak.

The only thing to watch out for are the usual overconstraint screw cases of
content too big for its viewport (narrow and short windows, big fonts, etc.)
so that the display doesn't jump around too much while typing.

Have fun tweaking!

Paul

PS: Does this really need to be a preference, or could we come up with a
better default, say .5in or 1/8 visible screen real estate or something?