Commit: better font handling (part 1 of 3)

Subject: Commit: better font handling (part 1 of 3)
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 15:40:43 CST

This bit of code enables better font handling on unix. The #if 1 will get
turned into an #if 0 when I commit part 2 of my work later today or
tomorrow. I removed that call to gdk_gc_set_font() because it isn't needed
and just adds more data that has to get shipped to X.

Part #2 *will* break all existing non-unix platforms until they do the
necessary code. I will be adding a few calls to GR_Graphics with a GR_Font
parameter to get certain measurements for a specific font. The current run
code does this:

pFont = pLayout->findFont(SCREEN_FONT);
m_graphics->setFont(pFont);
m_graphics->getFontAscent();
m_graphics->getFontDescent();
pFont = pLayout->findFont(LAYOUT_FONT);
(all of the same calls as above...)

To this, I say *ick* and I'm going to do it better. There's no reason to set
the font if we can just pass it as an argument.

Part #3 will add some *serious* caching down in the Run code and won't hurt
anyone :-)

Oh, and yes, Martin, I think that scrolling and editing has just gotten a
*little* better under Linux. More to follow.

CVS:
CVS: Committing in .
CVS:
CVS: Modified Files:
CVS: gr/unix/gr_UnixGraphics.cpp xap/unix/xap_UnixFont.h