Re: Commit: Enable printing of Coloured backgrounds.

Subject: Re: Commit: Enable printing of Coloured backgrounds.
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 09:34:08 CST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Martin Sevior wrote:

> This commit enables printing of coloured backgrounds.
>
> I think there is a bug in our handling of coloured printing in gnome. I
> can't get anything other solid blue-green-red in these coloured
> backgrounds in either print-preview or in the generated postscript.

 Hmm, that's very strange..
> Can you take a look at this Dom? Also using "print-directly" results in
> postscript that crashes gv.

 That's even more strange..

 Also as Randy said, Word doesn't use paper color when printing - paper color
is used only when saving as html..

> Clues folks?
>
> I'm in favour of implementing Vald's request to change the solid white of
> our paper to a user-definable color or shade. This is not the colour of
> the paper but rather something a bit more user friendly on the eys while
> composing the page. Having played around with background colours a bit
> already I can readily see that this would be a nice feature.
>
> I guess this should be a preference in the Layout tab. What should we call
> it?
>
> "Use White for Paper background while composing X | change | "
>
> Then this would have the check box X enabled by default. Unchecking this
> and pressing "Change" pops up our color picker dialog.

 Why don't add just another color selector with white as default color and a
label near it: '"Sheet" color on screen'? The variant you, Martin, proposed
seems overcomplicated to me (newbie user may wonder - what will happen if that
checkbox is unchecked - the paper background will be random color, or will be
black or won't be painted or what..).

 Of a similar topic - we also can allow changing the color of the "desktop" -
a color that is used when painting window content not covered with "paper" -
though I don't see any direct use for that (though I may be checked how it
looks like if set to black if I was able to).

> Opinions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin

 Best regards,