Re: Commit: diable background colors

Subject: Re: Commit: diable background colors
From: John L. Clark (jlc6@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 13:09:51 CST

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:23:53PM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Now we only print background colors to the screen (not to paper). This is a
> 1 line change that is easily backed out or propegated upward.

Ok, this brings up one of the questions I had earlier: if we have a
certain color onscreen which is for viewing purposes (such as a grey
background instead of white, as grey can be easier on the eyes), but
want to print out with standard white (or another color other than
grey), shouldn't we persist the "viewing" color in the preferences and
the "actual print color" in the document itself?

The reason why I ask this now is multifold. First of all, with Dom's
current patch, when you change the background color via Format >
Background, it changes the "viewing" color, but as Dom says above, not
the "actual print color". So, shouldn't the dialog to change this color
be under View instead, because it's changing the way you view the page,
but not the actual document properties (i.e. the wysiwyg
characteristics)?

Secondly, do we want the HTML exporter (et. al) to export in the color that you
view the document in, or do we want it to export the color that would be
printed? It is currently doing the former, while I believe it should be
doing the latter. Furthermore, if we decide on the latter, then it's
not the HTML exporter itself that should decide, but it should be the
document property setting mechanism which should correctly differentiate
between persistent document properties and "editing view" properties. I
understand this last bit to a degree, but still not fully, so
elaborations on our current mechanism are welcome.

Take care,

        John