Re: Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)

Subject: Re: Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 08:13:34 CDT

At 03:07 PM 5/1/2001 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > MAC Word format is not the same as WinWord. wv doesn't handle Mac Word
> DOCs
> > (will it ever?) The main problem here is that:
> >
> > 1) I haven't *ever* run across a spec/doc on MacWord format
> > 2) I haven't *ever* gotten a MacWord doc, even upon request from people
> who
> > say that it doesn't work.

         I am pretty sure that the Mac-specific Word format only goes back
to Word < 5.0 on the Mac (ie. about 7 or 8 years!), since I believe that
Word 5 on the Mac was the first version to share file format with Windows.

>I guess that the issue here might be the MAC's crazy binhex encoding
>to which it subjects all email attachments by default.

         BinHex is the OLD default for enclosures. Modern Email clients
will follow the MIME specification and thereby generate a multipart file
following the AppleDouble spec - which basically means that non-Mac clients
will get the data and ignore the rest of the message!

Leonard