Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: Stuart D. Gathman (stuart@bmsi.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 10:48:49 CDT

I am the rep for some normal users :-) I tell the 10 linux users in my
extended family which abiword version to use.

First, let me mention that footnotes are less important to my users than
tables. The documents requiring footnotes we do on LyX - which has
other advantages for that type of document.

Tables are pretty important. We regularly need a quick WYSIWYG table,
and end up using Netscape composer - which doesn't paginate.

The 1.0 version of tables should be very simple and solid. E.g. no
nested tables if that is complicated.

One of the best features of AbiWord is its small size. Please try to
think of your competition as MS Works, rather than MS Office. I have
never owned a machine capable of running MS Office - even older versions
- and the bloat grows faster than my hardware. (Similar comments apply
to Sun's office suite.)
One caveat is that disk space is not as big a problem. With 20G IDE
drives on the bargain rack for $100 (that my users can install
themselves), AbiWord can afford to use lots of disk. Especially if it
is in optional RPMs that don't have to be downloaded all at once at 28K
baud.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>
"Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - Mozart background