Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 21:11:57 CDT

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 01:49:55PM -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
> jesper> I just wanted to have an "official" poll on my suggestion for
> jesper> the alternative versioning scheme. Go read my posting on that:
> jesper> But substitute the next version with 2 instead of 42 as in the
> jesper> mail.
> I agree with the proposal for simple integer release numbers.

t's different in

Release 43 pre 1
 Release 43 pre 2
 Release 43 pre 3
 Release 43 pre 4
 ... whatever it takes...
 Release 43

Release 43 Build 2
 Release 43 Build 3

????

And

0.7.X
0.7.X+n...
whatever it takes...
0.8.0 (release marked as stable beta by the 0 and the even number 8)
0.8.1 (bug fix for bet 0.8)

Here's the cue:

  Although simpler to use, the first case ONLY shows a prograssive development.
  The usual numbering scheme shows progressive developement AND release status.

Also, please sign the releases, it's not hard, and very important.

Hugs, rms