Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@zoftcorp.adsl.dk)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 02:11:46 CDT

Dom> But in general, I'm in favor of this. Except that I'd like the
Dom> next release to be "15" instead of "2". 2 seems too larval. My
Dom> perception of Abi is that it "came of age" in the 0.7 series and
Dom> has really blossomed very recently (but by no means is it perfect
Dom> or finished, only better). So if this versioning scheme passes,
Dom> I'd like it to start at what what I consider to be a significant
Dom> milestone.

Again, I'd argue against hyping the application by inflating the
release number. This is, after all, just a label. I'd argue that
AbiWord is quite capable, and that does not change by using "15"
instead of "2" as the base.

What we have to prove is that AbiWord is viable as a WP because the
users like it and it's good, not because they were suckered to use it
because we used a high release number...

Anyway, we should make an entry in the FAQ (and the weekly news) about
the new numbering scheme, so people can see that AbiWord has been in
development for 3 years before the change.

Jesper