RE: Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: RE: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: Tom Newton (Tom.Newton@gtl.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 08:59:13 CDT

I believe you can have one of two things:

(a) tables support done quickly, ugly unmaintainable code, many hours
debugging, and an implementation that doesn't import/export properly etc,
but sort of works. Until you rewrite properly in v5.0.
(b) tables support done well from the start that "Just Work".

Most applications go for (a). Certainly Maxwell did, and yes, tables (sort
of) work, but if you load a big (50 page ish) document that consists of one
big table it takes about 10 minutes to load. Got an 0(n squared) algorithm
in there somwhere;)

I read a book once about "Good enough" software, I think it was by Coad or
Yourdon (OO Gurus). Generally it was full of rubbish, but the basic premise
was that software just has to be good enough to get a job done, which is
what you're advocating.

Perhaps everyone who is saying "do it later" wants AbiWord to be better than
"good enough"?

Anyway, to get started on positive pointers on solving the tables problem,
the RTF spec is quite an interesting read, since it seems to be very much
based on MSWords view of the tables "world". Reading the RTF spec and
experimenting with MSWord (assuming you have it) and exporting various table
layouts as RTF is a very good way to understand how MSWord works WRT tables
(and everything else actually).

Tom

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. It
may contain confidential or privileged information and if you are
not the intended addressee you are not authorized to disclose,
copy, distribute or place any reliance on it whatsoever and we
request that you inform our postmaster (postmaster@gtl.com) that
you have received this e-mail. Any attachment(s) to this message
has been checked for viruses, but please rely on your own virus
checker and procedures. If you contact us by e-mail, we will
store your name and address to facilitate communications.