Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 05:17:22 CDT

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 05:24 PM 5/2/2001 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >Anyway Eric I would appreciate your feedback on what seems to us to be the
> >hardest part of doing tables right, that is page layout.
>
> Actually, in many ways the layout issues are easier than others -
> DEPENDING on your goals and/or implementation for tables. A larger issue
> that you need to decide BEFORE anything else is how much (if any) support
> you are going to provide for cross cell and/or cross table selection (ie.
> can the user select part of one cell and part of another, or select some
> text outside a table and some inside). If the answer is that every cell is
> self-contained - then tables aren't very difficult as you can treat them as
> separate containers (as you suggest). HOWEVER, if you plan to allow
> cross-cell selection, then the problem is VERY difficult to solve
> (well). I explained this to Dom over beer one night..

I thought this would work via the GTK algorithim too. For selections we do
mapDocPositionToXY on the anchor and the same for the cursor location.
Then simply the grey all text in all runs between those points using
whatever layout code we have. The mapDocPositionToXY operates much like
now. Find block containing point, find run containing point, find line
containing point(from the run) find container containing line, find layout
of the line within the container and we've got everything we need.

Actually doing things this way I think that any algorithim we use to
layout the containers we also allow cross cell selections.

What am I missing?

> >Tables know their horizontal dimensions as containts.
>
> Not necessarily. HTML Tables, for example, allow for best fit,
> percentage width (50% of page), and can also allow for fixed height,
> dynamic width.

No problem. The GTK algorithim can handle this too. Well maybe no best
fit.

Cheers

Martin