Re: right-click to do calculations Non-member submission from [pod@sapienagents.net]]

Subject: Re: right-click to do calculations Non-member submission from [pod@sapienagents.net]]
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 20:09:25 CDT

ms> No I'm not joking. Yes it will take at most one day to
ms> implement. It will be totally XP. You won't have to do a thing. I
ms> really think this is a cool feature. Highlight a maths expression,
ms> right click, choose "Calculate value" from the context menu. If no
ms> error resplace with result. Lovely :-)

Cool or not, let's have a quick show of hands: How many of you and
how often have you wished to have this feature in your word processor?

Me neither.

If it were there, I might use it occasionally. I certainly wouldn't
forget it was there, since I'd be seeing that "Calculate value" item
on my right-click context menu every time I right-clicked on a
highlighted region.

If you implement this feature, be sure to also offer weights and
measures conversions, column and row sorting, standard deviations,
launching an email to a given address, and Ponzi schemes. I'd also
like to see some calendar math, like day-of-week for a given date,
difference between two dates, and validation that a given date
exists. And don't get me started on trying to understand shillings
and pence; I could really use a context menu for that.