Re: right-click to do calculations Non-member submission from[pod@sapienagents.net]]

Subject: Re: right-click to do calculations Non-member submission from[pod@sapienagents.net]]
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 22:27:31 CDT

Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2001, WJCarpenter wrote:
>
> > ms> No I'm not joking. Yes it will take at most one day to
> > ms> implement. It will be totally XP. You won't have to do a thing. I
> > ms> really think this is a cool feature. Highlight a maths expression,
> > ms> right click, choose "Calculate value" from the context menu. If no
> > ms> error resplace with result. Lovely :-)
> >
> > Cool or not, let's have a quick show of hands: How many of you and
> > how often have you wished to have this feature in your word processor?
> >
> > Me neither.
>
> Well I would but as is often the case what I want may not be what large
> numbers of other people want. I really don't want the rest of the stuff
> you list below so feel free to implement it yourself Bill.

I think it's a great idea and I'd use it a lot more than I'd use
headers and footers (-;

> Given that Thomas thinks this will clutterup up the context menu I won't
> add it to mainstream abi.

Well I'm not sure how the context menus work but it obviously shouldn't
appear in the context menu unless the context is a span of characters
that match something like /[0-9+\-*\/]+/

Just my 1 cent worth at current exchange rates.

--
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net