Re: Cyrillic in AW documents

Subject: Re: Cyrillic in AW documents
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:13:34 CDT

Hi Andrew,

> Hi Tomas. This makes good sense. However if I recall
> correctly, XML documents, including .abw documents
> should then declare in the header which encoding they
> are using. In the sample document we declared
> nothing.
> Can somebody please look into this?

I have done some tests, and this is what the situation looks like on
my machine:

- win version of AW always saves in utf-8 without declaring the
encoding in the xml header (which is fine, that is the xml default).
When given a document coded in a different encoding (tested with
iso-8859-8), it loads it correctly.

- Linux version of AW honours the encoding part of LANG, and
even if the explicit encoding is utf-8, it will declare it in the xml
header. It also correctly loads documents with different encoding
than that of the current locale, including the one using utf-8 without
explicit declaration in the xml header.

As far as I can see, the docs produced on different platforms are
mutually compatible. So the only 'problem' I detect here is that the
two versions behave slightly differently, i.e., the win version does
not use the encoding of the present locale when saving docs. I
would prefer if it did, but this is not a big deal.

The bottom line, I am not sure what is causing the problem with the
Cyrillic docs. Is it possible that this has to do with the way iconv
(or the xml parser) handle the encoding codes (case sensitivity,
dashes vs. underscores, etc.) on the different platforms?

Tomas