Re: Beginner: some questions.

Subject: Re: Beginner: some questions.
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 11:51:58 CDT

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Petr Tomasek wrote:

> 1) How can I build abiword with exporters/importers as plugins and
> not linked into abiword itself?

I asked Dom about this the other day, all that is needed is for some one
to do the necessary makefile magic.
If you are able to write makefiles then give it a go.

... and then it would be possible to distribute your importer as a
plugin. It is quite likely that until then your importer will just be
included with everything else.

> 2) Where/ how can I get patches between abiword 0.9.2/0.9.3 and between
> 0.9.3/0.9.4-beta (0.9.4 when available)? Can I download them from some place?

Do you know how to use CVS (concurrent versioning system)?
The instructions are here
http://www.abisource.com/dev_download.phtml#cvs

> 3) Does abiword allow multiple header/footer definitions per document?
> Can I edit them somehow not for the whole document?

I dont think so. Some one else should be able to confirm it.

(If they did not apply to the whole document they would be something else
other than headers and footers wouldn't they?
Of course it would be nice if there was some way to
organise multiple documents together if you wanted a cover page or
something that did not have headers but i digress).

> > 4) Will abiword support tables, footnotes, setting page number to various
> values?

Abiword will support tables, but not yet. Tables are a pain in the ass to
program well. Dont expect tables until v1.2, the developers are very
serious about doing it the right way.

There is already support for Page Numbers, but it is basic. You cannot
skip the first page or anything like that (I should probably file that as
an Request For Enhancement (RFE)).