Re: Windows build problems

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 05:24:38 EST

     --- Nikolaj Brandt Jensen <mailbag@postman.dk> wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have been having a lot of problems compile AbiWord
    > recently, but
    > hopefully someone can help me, because I am out of
    > ideas :-)
    >
    > Just after 0.99.2 was released I upgraded CygWin and
    > installed the
    > Microsoft .net SDK. This should not have ruined
    > anything, but since
    > _all_ compiles of AbiWord failed after this, I am a
    > bit suspicious...
    >
    > I now get a lot of different errors I have never
    > seen before:
    >
    > While checking expat:
    > The host system is detected as i686-pc-cygwin and
    > the linker as GNU
    > ld, which seems a bit strange to me, but might be
    > right.
    >
    > and is anyone seeing this
    > checking for ANSI C header files... grep:
    > conftest.out: No such file
    > or directory
    > no
    > checking for fcntl.h... grep: conftest.out: No such
    > file or directory
    > yes
    > checking for unistd.h... grep: conftest.out: No such
    > file or directory
    > yes
    >
    > or this
    >
    > C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\VC98\INCLUDE\stdlib.h(71) :
    > warning C4114: same
    > type qualifier used more than once
    > C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\VC98\INCLUDE\stdlib.h(71) :
    > warning C4091:
    > 'typedef ' : ignored on left of 'unsigned int ' when
    > no variable is
    > declared
    >
    > While building psiconv:
    > Lots of
    > bash.exe ../libtool --mode=compile cl.exe
    > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
    > -W3 -nologo -GF -Gy -MD -DWIN32 -Zm200 -O2 -Ob1
    > -D_X86_
    > -Dvsnprintf=_vsnprintf -Dsnprintf=_snprintf
    > -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -c -o
    > dummy.lo `test -f dummy.c || echo './'`
    > dummy.c
    > cygpath: can't convert empty path
    > cl.exe -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -W3 -nologo -GF
    > -Gy -MD -DWIN32
    > -Zm200 -O2 -Ob1 -D_X86_ -Dvsnprintf=_vsnprintf
    > -Dsnprintf=_snprintf
    > -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -c dummy.c
    > dummy.c
    >
    > While linking zlib:
    > fatal error C1083: Cannot open compiler generated
    > file:

    'C:\Cygwinabi\abi\abi\src\WIN32_1.3.10_i386_OBJ\obj\zlib\adler32.obj':
    > No such file or directory
    >
    > I can get past this with an ugly hack to the
    > TRANSFORM_TO_DOS_PATH
    > macro. But then it dies in libiconv:
    >
    > localcharset.c(34) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
    > include file:
    > 'strings.h': No such file or directory
    >
    > It probably tries to use strings.h since the check
    > fails to find
    > string.h - only string.h does exists in the INCLUDE
    > path.
    >
    > I have tried to reinstall CygWin and messing around
    > a bit, but that
    > didn't help. Any ideas?

    I would guess the CygWin at fault first since it ought
    to be more involved but I wouldn't rule out .NET
    especially if it messes with C header files.
    The only way you can find out what the problem is is
    to try both a) deinstall .NET and see what happens.
    b) go back to your old CygWin version and see what
    happens. c) Both a and b.
    Unless others are having the same problems since about
    0.99.2 on Windows who didn't change their CygWin or
    .NET which means something in Abi is going wrong.
    Sorry I can't do more to help right now.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com