Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 23:20:38 EST

    On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

    > Alan Horkan wrote:
    > > READ THIS:
    > > http://abisource.com/support/expectations.phtml
    >
    > I told you I already read it. It does not address the point.
    >
    > I have put significant good faith effort into assisting in resolving this
    > issue, including provision of specific practical suggestions and patches.
    >
    > Please consider responding to the substance of the proposals for
    > resolving the issue.
    >
    > I don't ask the AbiWord developers to do anything other than stop interfering
    > with other applications. Beyond that, I agree with the expectations
    > document.

    As noted by you and from you this is fixed.

    > Sam Trenhome wrote
    > > it seems that he has a pattern of getting really
    > > attached to certain bugs that open source software
    > > has
    >
    > And, in general, fixing them. From kernel bugs, to kde bugs, to cvs, to
    > bugzilla, and even one or two in AbiWord.
    >

    > Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > Do you have a patch that fixes this? If so please submit it. I
    > > promise to test it.
    >
    > Why yes, check with Dom. I've sent several patchs and received no responses,
    > not so much as a "thanks but no thanks" or a "it won't work because".
    > Specifically I sent a patch that fixes the false font names, and a patch that
    > outlines the font substitution necessary, some months ago.

    I gather that patch did not work otherwise Dom would have done soemthing
    with it. Did you consider that he had legitimate reasons for not
    committing it?

    > I did not start out angry about this issue.
    >
    > Nor did most of the dozens of people who feel this is the #1 Unix AbiWord
    > issue start angry. Please consider that an issue that makes so many people
    > mad might have merit, and deserve a creative and immediate solution.

    As far as I can tell, the only thing is currently wrong is calling one
    font name something else. I don't see the harm in this unless there is a
    free version of the same font we could use instead of the renamed one. If
    such a free font exists please point me to it.

    All in all I don't understand what you're mad about.

    Cheers

    Martin