Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

From: William Lachance (wlach@interlog.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 19:26:51 EDT

    Martin:

    Bryce's patch doesn't completely solve the problem. This sort of situation is
    still possible:

    (1) User doesn't have arial installed on their system.
    (2) AbiWord puts the (fake) Arial in the font path on startup.
    (3) User (for example) loads up a webpage in konqueror that uses Arial.
    Before, konqueror will fall back on Helvectica (which looks decent) but now
    it will use the Arial that is installed on the font path (which looks bad).

    Bryce:

    I understand that you think this is a major problem (I do too). But the main
    developers want to solve this problem by using Freetype (rather than font
    substitution).

    I understand the reasoning behind the solution you suggest. But until you
    come up with a _complete_ working patch (and not just an outline of what one
    would look like), it's quite difficult to take you seriously.

    I really don't think it's appropriate for you to take a managerial role in
    what is essentially a volunteer project.

    Regards,

    Will Lachance
    wlach@interlog.com