Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some directions and help

From: Andrzej Pruszynski (abi@rth.coi.waw.pl)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 05:21:29 EDT

    On Sat 13. April 2002 08:36, Roshan Mathews wrote:
    > Hello Frank and others,
    > : The way I started was to go through Bugzilla's open bugs
    > : looking for ones that seemed (a) interesting, and (b)
    > : vaguely relevant to my expertise (such as it was/is).
    >
    > That will be bugzilla.abisource.com right? The problem is that I
    > have no particular area of expertise, (I thought I knew C pretty
    > well but had to revise my opinion after trying to work through
    > K&R). I am struggling through the GTK+ tutorial too.
    >
    > So I'd like to start with someone giving me the smaller parts of
    > the code to write or something. Is this possible?
    >
    > The problem is I have no idea how this system works. I mean I
    > don't know how to find the bugs I'm looking for unless I know the
    > entire source, and I really won't know how to read thousands of
    > line of AbiWord code? Helpful ideas, anyone?

    A developer have to be smart enough. There is no way for jump into core
    developer group. You have to work step by step.
    1. At first TEST software and register bugs.
    2. READ comments of your bugs.
    3. LEARN how developers solve problems - read code of their patches
    4. if you have your ideas TRY write your patches.
    5. be HAPPY when devolopes DO NOT commit your patches
    6. be PATIENT - some day you won't ask how to help. This will mean that you
    are more or less ready to do it.

       "To follow the path:
         look to the master,
         follow the master,