Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some directions and help

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 11:05:23 EDT

    source tarball from the abisource.com/sourceforge webpage
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/abiword-0.99.5.tar.gz

    or view them all here
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15518&release_id=83035

    you may need a few other libs and bits and pieces that may not be in
    tarball if so you may mail me offlist and i will help find them or grab
    them for you and put them on a/my page.

    Unless you have a strong desire to program the Graphial user interface (ie
    GTK) i do think the importers and expoters are a good place to get
    started. there are plenty of existing importers and exporters which i
    hope you can use as examples.

    Are you familiar with DocBook? Many open source projects use DocBook.
    If you know a bit about hypertext (html) and/or XML and have some
    documentation i think it would be a good place to start. If there is
    another file format you are interested relatively more interested in
    please say so.
    (because i would love if abiword could import the LaTeX it exports).

    Image export was recently added to to DocBook but this breaks the
    DocBook import.
    I think it should be easy enough to add support for image
    import to docbook, and i suspect it will be very similar to xhtml image
    import code. (would the real developers please warn if there
    are hidden complexities that i am unaware of).
    There may not be a specific bug related to this issue but i did add a
    comment to one of the existing docbook import bugs.

    request to hub or others with webmaster priviledges for the sourceforge
    page.

    i would like to be able to link directly to specific parts of the download
    page.
    Please add anchor tags for each section (spell,plugins,abiword) on the
    download page, or alternatively please consider making them available as
    three seperate pages

    Sincerely
    Alan

    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana