Re: commit: abi: Irish & Hebrew corrections

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 10:16:31 EDT

    On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:50:49 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "[iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
    > To: F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>,
    > AbiWord Developer List <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: commit: abi: Irish & Hebrew corrections
    >
    > --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
    > wrote: > AbiWord was using "iw-IL" for Hebrew which,
    > as far
    > > as I can tell, is
    > > invalid. I've changed it to "he-IL" - will this
    > > break anything?
    >
    > That's odd. A quick Google search tells me that
    > ISO 639 does state "IW" for Hebrew. Here is one
    > page: sunsite.berkeley.edu/amher/iso_639.html
    > BUT... This page tells me it was changed in 1989:
    > www.oasis-open.org/cover/iso639a.html
    > Are we going to find systems that still use IW?
    > We should at least put in a comment in case we do run
    > across such a system and then maybe support both...
    >
    > > Alan: Is "Irish" the same as "Irish Gaelic" or...?
    > >
    > > o language code "ga" is Irish not Gaelic - my
    > > mistake
    >
    > "Irish" and "Gaelic" generally refer to the same
    > language. When referring to the Scottish or Welsh
    > languages the usual terms are "Scots Gaelic" and
    > "Welsh". But the Irish usually call the language
    > "Irish" when talking about it in English.
    > Am I right here Alan? (:

    very much correct

    incidentally while we are at it Celtic is almost always pronounced with a
    hard K sound, with the Scottish Football team Celtic being one of the rare
    exceptions that is pronounced with an aspirate C or 'S' sound.
    (we had a silly arguement/wind up here over lunch yesterday).

    Later
    Alan