Re: commit: abi: Irish & Hebrew corrections

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 00:50:49 EDT

     --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
    wrote: > AbiWord was using "iw-IL" for Hebrew which,
    as far
    > as I can tell, is
    > invalid. I've changed it to "he-IL" - will this
    > break anything?

    That's odd. A quick Google search tells me that
    ISO 639 does state "IW" for Hebrew. Here is one
    page: sunsite.berkeley.edu/amher/iso_639.html
    BUT... This page tells me it was changed in 1989:
    www.oasis-open.org/cover/iso639a.html
    Are we going to find systems that still use IW?
    We should at least put in a comment in case we do run
    across such a system and then maybe support both...

    > Alan: Is "Irish" the same as "Irish Gaelic" or...?
    >
    > o language code "ga" is Irish not Gaelic - my
    > mistake

    "Irish" and "Gaelic" generally refer to the same
    language. When referring to the Scottish or Welsh
    languages the usual terms are "Scots Gaelic" and
    "Welsh". But the Irish usually call the language
    "Irish" when talking about it in English.
    Am I right here Alan? (:

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com