Re: commit: abi: Irish & Hebrew corrections

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 00:53:20 EDT

     --- Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote: >
    > > AbiWord was using "iw-IL" for Hebrew which, as far
    > as I can tell, is
    > > invalid. I've changed it to "he-IL" - will this
    > break anything?
    > >
    > > Alan: Is "Irish" the same as "Irish Gaelic" or...?
    >
    > i responded this just after you had logged off IRC
    >
    > Irish people speaking in English refert to the
    > native language of Ireland
    > as "Irish".
    > In Irish it is called, "Gaeilge".
    > For example the phrase "An bhfuil Gaeilge agat?"
    > means "do you have
    > (do you speak) Irish?" the standard response being
    > "Ta cupla focail agam"
    > (i have a few words).
    >
    > We do talk about Scot's Gaeilic, but Irish Gaelic is
    > just called Irish.
    > (common usage does not gaurantee correctness).
    >

    > Executive summary:
    >
    > I think the label, "Irish (Gaeilge)"
    > would be appropriate.
    >
    > what was it you wanted me to check? i did not
    > understand what you meant
    > by "Gaelic Visibility"
    >
    > Slan go foill
    > Alan
    >
    > PS need to find how to do accents properly, so there
    > are lots of mistakes
    > in the Irish phrases above.

    Looks for the "US international" keymap. It let's you
    use the apostrophe as a dead key for accents and all
    the other letters will be where you expect them to be.
    Do we have an Irish dictionary hash? If we do it
    should use the accents and will be pretty dodgy if it
    doesn't.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com