Re: commit: abi: Irish & Hebrew corrections

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 07:09:23 EDT

    > AbiWord was using "iw-IL" for Hebrew which, as far as I can tell, is
    > invalid. I've changed it to "he-IL" - will this break anything?
    >
    > Alan: Is "Irish" the same as "Irish Gaelic" or...?

    i responded this just after you had logged off IRC

    Irish people speaking in English refert to the native language of Ireland
    as "Irish".
    In Irish it is called, "Gaeilge".
    For example the phrase "An bhfuil Gaeilge agat?" means "do you have
    (do you speak) Irish?" the standard response being "Ta cupla focail agam"
    (i have a few words).

    We do talk about Scot's Gaeilic, but Irish Gaelic is just called Irish.
    (common usage does not gaurantee correctness).

    Executive summary:

    I think the label, "Irish (Gaeilge)"
    would be appropriate.

    what was it you wanted me to check? i did not understand what you meant
    by "Gaelic Visibility"

    Slan go foill
    Alan

    PS need to find how to do accents properly, so there are lots of mistakes
    in the Irish phrases above.