Re: OK, I can't translate the last two strings

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 23:51:07 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    Sam Trenholme <abiword_bugs@yahoo.com> wrote in

    http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
    > >.
    > This should be changed in the English file.

    Well there's official and there's official. Persian
    is the traditional name for the language in English
    since Iran was called Persia. Farsi is the Farsi/
    Persian name for the language before and after the
    name change of the country. But these days more and
    more English speaking language buffs prefer to call
    the language Farsi for cultural reasons since that is
    the preferred name of the language by its actual
    speakers. Phrasebooks for instance usually have
    "Farsi (Persian)" on the cover.

    > > My guess for "Norwegian Bokmal" is "bokmal
    > noruego";
    >
    > Note that Spanish may have special rules for
    > transliteration of
    > language names. In this case note that the actual
    > name for this
    > language is 'Bokmål' not 'Bokmal'.
    >
    > 'Norwegian Bokmål' is also the preferred language
    > name in
    > English, but 'Norwegian Bokmal' may be used if the
    > 'å' character
    > isn't available.

    You would have to check with the Real Academia de la
    Lengua Espanola or whatever it's called but I'd go
    with 'Noruego Bokmål' since å is available in the same
    character sets as Spanish uses on every platform.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com