Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 15:33:36 EDT

    > Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Well pretty soon we're going to need a real
    > replacement. Dom and I are both in favour of the
    > replacement being UTF-8 but some here seem to want
    > UTF-32.

    UTF-8 is an encoding scheme that is intended to allow Unicode
    communication between separate processes over 8-bit channels.
    For that it is great, but that's about the only thing it is really good
    for. UTF-8 processing is cumbersome, and as such it is completely
    unsuitable format to use for the piecetable. We need a fixed with
    encoding for that, such as the curent UCS-2, i.e., UTF-32.

    Tomas