Re: Ready for the Big Time!

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 10:21:40 EDT

    Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote in
    news:Pine.LNX.4.40.0204200040100.27040-100000@turing.maths.tcd.ie:

    > Abiword is an XML document, IE6 does not understand the dialect
    > of XML used.

    That's not correct. Actually, the DTD *is* invalid. This means that
    every validating XML parser *MUST* (in the strictest sense of the
    word) refuse to try to display the document.

    > Mozilla at least manages to display the text of
    > the document.

    That's because Mozilla doesn't use a validating parser.

    > Frankly i am surprised that a web browser (Mozilla) was able to
    > make any decent attempt at loading a Word Processing document
    > format, which is quite different from html web pages.

    Mozilla display CSS-less XML documents with 'display: inline' on
    every element (which BTW is correct behaviour).

    > It would be very nice if IE6 and even better Mozilla v1.0 could
    > display abiword documents properly, although I dont know what
    > would be needed to make the XML more understandable.

    Add a (XSLT or CSS) stylesheet. A CSS style sheet will make *very*
    simple (but readable) rendering possible.

    But this DTD is a very serious problem. It means that every
    documented generated by AbiWord is actually *invalid*, and that
    every validating XML parser will refuse to parse it. This obviously
    needs to be fixed ASAP. The easiest way is to delete all the
    contents from the DTD file, so that it's just an empty file.
    Secondly, future versions of AbiWord should not included a DOCTYPE
    declaration (or if they do, fix the DTD).

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer