Re: Pango? (was Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class)

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 02:29:47 EDT

    I'm still trying to catch the whole mail queue...

    Tomas, if I understand you right, you're advocating for not using Pango for
    the layout. But nothing in Pango (afaik) prevents us to use our own layout,
    using only the more low level stuff in pango (itemization, determination of
    line/word/paragraph breaks, shapers, ...)

    I don't think that anybody will seriously push for changing our internals to
    use PangoLayout...

    So, what are your opinions about all that?

    P.S.: As I said you in a private note long time ago, I'm in touch with
    several arabic native speakers (starting with my gf). The only thing that
    prevented me from testing the arabic shaper was that I was not able to find
    an arabic keymap. If somebody can say me what has to be done to enter
    arabic characters with an american keyboard in Windows XP, I would be able
    to do some testing.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela