Re: Pango? (was Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 02:46:12 EDT

     --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    wrote: > I'm still trying to catch the whole mail
    queue...

    > Tomas, if I understand you right, you're advocating
    > for not using Pango for
    > the layout. But nothing in Pango (afaik) prevents
    > us to use our own layout,
    > using only the more low level stuff in pango
    > (itemization, determination of
    > line/word/paragraph breaks, shapers, ...)

    This sounds like what I think we should do.

    > I don't think that anybody will seriously push for
    > changing our internals to
    > use PangoLayout...

    Exactly! It seems you know a bit about how Pango
    works - cool.

    > So, what are your opinions about all that?
    >
    > P.S.: As I said you in a private note long time ago,
    > I'm in touch with
    > several arabic native speakers (starting with my
    > gf). The only thing that
    > prevented me from testing the arabic shaper was that
    > I was not able to find
    > an arabic keymap. If somebody can say me what has
    > to be done to enter
    > arabic characters with an american keyboard in
    > Windows XP, I would be able
    > to do some testing.

    Windows XP should let you install Arabic support from
    the Keyboard part of Control Panel. To know where the
    keys are, you can use the Visual Keyboard that is in
    Accessories or the one that comes as an addition to
    MSWord. If you want a real French/Arabic keyboard to
    plug in, I picked one up in Tangier, Morocco for 9
    Euros and 50 cents. Should be possible to find one in
    Paris but you don't really need the keyboard if you
    can
    touch-type Arabic or are willing to persevere.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com