Re: vedapad - devanagari support in abiword

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 03:45:47 EDT

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, arvind kidambi wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am a grad student.My prof has developed a tool called "vedapad"
    > which is for typing indian devanagari script.I have incorporated it
    > with Abiword.Now indian devanagari script can be easily typed in
    > abiword.right now it is for windows platform.we are working to make it
    > cross platform.i encounted one problem in abiword.if the style is
    > heading 1 then the characters appear coorectly but in normal style the
    > characters do not.Any suggestions on how to solve this?
    >
    > regards,

    Hi Avrind,
              This is very cool and extremely topical! One guess I have is
    that the font "Times New Roman" used for normal style does not have the
    required devanagari glyphs whereas "Arial" used in Heading 1 style does.

    To check just select the font "Arial" and see if your text is entered then
    try "Times New Roman" and the other fonts we have.

    We're very interested in your project as we are right now discussing how
    best to deal with complex scripts from South Asia.

    Cheers

    Martin