Re: vedapad - devanagari support in abiword

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 03:53:36 EDT

     --- Martin Sevior
    <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote: >

    > On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, arvind kidambi wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am a grad student.My prof has developed a tool
    > called "vedapad"
    > > which is for typing indian devanagari script.I
    > have incorporated it
    > > with Abiword.Now indian devanagari script can be
    > easily typed in
    > > abiword.right now it is for windows platform.we
    > are working to make it
    > > cross platform.i encounted one problem in
    > abiword.if the style is
    > > heading 1 then the characters appear coorectly but
    > in normal style the
    > > characters do not.Any suggestions on how to solve
    > this?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >

    > Hi Avrind,
    > This is very cool and extremely topical! One
    > guess I have is
    > that the font "Times New Roman" used for normal
    > style does not have the
    > required devanagari glyphs whereas "Arial" used in
    > Heading 1 style does.

    This could be. Since he's on Windows, I know that
    Windows "fakes" Devanagari fonts to match whichever
    font you have selected, when the selected font does
    not have Devanagari glyphs. Abi may possibly be
    making assumptions based on Times/Arial instead of
    checking what it's actually getting from the font
    system. This is a feature of Uniscribe and it's
    supposed to be transparent to make Devanagari "just
    work".

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com