Re: Pango?

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 03:43:28 EDT

    > > No, FreeType is independent of any system font mechanism; it
    > > parses the font files and gives you the glyphs as bitmaps.
    >
    > You really must use fontconfig on UNIX though to get the list of
    > available fonts, font names, etc. though. I don't think shipping a
    > custom set of fonts with AbiWord is really any good at all for users.
    > We're getting GTK, Qt, Mozilla, everything on fontconfig, please don't
    > create exceptions... things are such a mess right now and fontconfig
    > is such a good idea...

    The problem we have with fonts on Unix is (1) we can only use
    scalable fonts (2) we have to be able to use the font on screen and
    to be able to generate PS output with it. Most fonts installed on a
    typical Unix do not fall into this category, so we either ship our own
    set of fonts, or develop a mechanism for filtering unsuitable fonts
    out. The former is what we do, the latter is what we should do, but
    we need to take it one thing at a time.

    Tomas