Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 09:55:21 EDT

    > But Pango already has a Win32 back end.
    > Also I don't understand 100% how a FreeType back end
    > is different to a TrueType back end. Is FreeType not
    > compatible with TrueType on the level I thought?
    I do not know about TrueType, but I think the FreeType API is
    home-grown.

    > Having both TrueType and FreeType on an OS just sounds
    > ugly.
    I see no problem with this.

    > > I am not worried about FT2 performance too much, and
    > > as for the patented algorithms, many people could still use
    > > them, since not all of us live in countries where Apple holds the
    > > patents :).
    >
    > Myself included but not too many church secretaries
    > are going to edit their FreeType makefile and rebuild
    > to get AbiWord to antialias like all their other
    > software already does automatically.

    FreeType2 uses its own antialiasing algorithm, it does not need the
    Apple patented algorithm to do antialiasing, but you can choose to
    use the Apple code it if the patent is not an issue.

    > So it's equivalent to using Xft?
    As far as I understand, it is pretty much identical to Xft.

    > So are you suggesting using pangoft instead of
    > pangowin32 even on Win32?
    Yes.

    Tomas

    tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net