Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:34:17 EDT

     --- Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com> wrote:
    > At 5:17 PM +0100 4/26/02, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > >We can have a single XP API without having a single
    > >implementation.
    >
    > True - IF we controlled that part of the code.
    > However,
    > this sits underneath of Pango, which already does
    > (in a sense)
    > abstract out the different platform font/text API's.

    I think many of us have already accepted that if we
    go with Pango we will then have to also contribute to
    Pango development where it affects us. Somewhat like
    we do with the wv library now.

    > The issue, however, is whether the AbiWord team
    > wishes to
    > support a single one of those modules (FreeType) or
    > ALL of those
    > modules (X11, Win32, FT) as well as building new
    > ones for Mac OS, QNX, BeOS, etc.

    Obviously my vote is for supporting them all. On
    platforms where it's not up to par or not existing
    we simply switch on the FT backend instead.

    Hub, what are your feelings about a pangoosx backend
    being optionally developed? Damn I wish I had a mac
    (:

    Andrew Dunbar.

    <http://www.lazerware.com>

    =====