Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 10:05:12 EDT

     --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
    wrote: > On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > > > It is meant to, but I have spent about an hour
    > > > yeasterday on it, and
    > > > did not succeed. Also, GLib 2.0 itself has
    > couple of
    > > > external
    > > > dependences, iconv, and some other GNU library,
    > name
    > > > of which I
    > > > do not remember of the top of my head.
    > >
    > > Which iconv? The many iconv implementations out
    > there
    > > are notoriously incompatible. I wonder if they
    > > require libiconv or the system iconv, and I wonder
    > if
    > > this will be a problem for us. If we end up with
    > > potentially 2 iconvs being used by different bits
    > of
    > > AbiWord that would not be nice.
    >
    > glib-2.0 depends on iconv and GNU gettext. As iconv
    > implementations go,
    > g_iconv is as ambiguous as they come. It's a pure
    > wrapper in the current
    > glib-2.0 source, so chances are people with glib-2.0
    > will be using the
    > system iconv implementation, or GNU libiconv if
    > that's not present.
    >
    > I'm not sure about glib-2.0.1, but earlier glib
    > configures get very
    > confused if there's no system iconv, so... pain!!!
    > (/me scowls at glib
    > deelopers.) Not insurmountable, but.
    >
    > Anyway, if we're going to be using glib with all
    > platforms - and I do hope
    > we do - then we should be using glib's g_iconv
    > rather than iconv directly.
    > Of course, wv which uses iconv should be asked to
    > use g_iconv as well.

    If we do go with glib on all platforms we'll prob-
    ably have to decide how much of it to embrace fully.
    There seems to be a few things in glib that do pretty
    much the same as some of our own utilities and a few
    we could probably make use of.
    It will probably make our UT_iconv stuff a lot
    simpler if it becomes a wrapper only for g_iconv as
    long as we can trust g_iconv as well as we can trust
    our current iconv trickery (:

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com